We are looking for an Animation Programmer to join us on an exciting unannounced publisher-backed Unreal Engine 4 project. You'll ideally relish the challenge of crafting believable NPC animals and creatures that are realistic, dynamic and compelling in their behaviour, and feel right at home in our rich and expansive game world. This is an important role central to the game's identity, so your work will be prominent and rewarding and directly influence the end product.
Location: The role is fully remote. Relocation packages are available for the right candidate if working locally is desirable.
Level: We require an experienced mid-senior animation programmer who has previously worked with animals or creatures on an existing project.
The Role: You will work closely with multiple development disciplines to achieve seamless and dynamic animation integration. Assist and support animators in effectively implementing animation into the game engine. To analyse, troubleshoot and find solutions to animation-related technical challenges.
What the Job Entails
- An eye for the details with a genuine love for your craft
- Expert in 3D animation and 3D mathematics for games
- Experience with 3D bipedal and quadruped character/animal animation systems, including skeletal animation
- Experience with using IK, blending, and motion capture data in games
- Strong UE4 development experience, including experience with blend spaces, state machines, montages, etc.
- A passion for making and playing games
- Works well in a cooperative team environment
- An instinct for what level of engineering is necessary, and the ability to work efficiently at any level from rapid prototyping to highly polished shippable work
- Involvement in a shipped game using Unreal Engine 4
- Worked at a AAA or AA studio
- Experience with animation rigs in Maya
- Strong C++ programming skills
- Experience programming game features and systems, especially player-visible game features
- Experience with procedural animation techniques such as procedural footstepping, foot locking, dynamic hand placement, etc.
- Experience with physical animation, active ragdolls, etc.
- One or more shipped products, particularly PC games
- Good understanding of anatomy and animation principles
- Interest in emerging technologies and techniques including Machine Learning and its application to animation
- Excited to be a part of an indie studio with big ambitions!
- Regular (but always optional) team and company events
- Work from home or work from the office – it's up to you
- A genuine aversion to crunch
- Unlimited fresh-air and wellness breaks
- One hour a week paid exercise and wellness pass
- Free gym, sports or fitness subsidy
- Private medical and dental healthcare (UK only)
- Annual salary reviews
- Cycle to work scheme
- Travel loan
- Free online tuition courses
- Fast growing studio with plenty of room for career advancement
If you feel you have something to offer this role, even if you don’t think you qualify for all the above, please still apply. We are an inclusive employer and if you have potential, talent and a great work ethic, we want to hear from you. 🙏