We are looking for a Senior Animator to join us on an exciting unannounced publisher-backed Unreal Engine 4 project. You'll ideally relish the challenge of crafting believable NPC animals and creatures that are realistic, dynamic and compelling in their behaviour, and feel right at home in our rich and expansive game world. This is an important role central to the game's identity, so your work will be prominent and rewarding and directly influence the end product.
Location: The role is fully remote. Relocation packages are available for the right candidate if working locally is desirable.
Level/Experience: Mid to senior role with direct or similar experiences in crafting believable creatures/animals in games.
The Role: You will be working alongside gameplay & animation programmers, in addition to supporting our junior animators. You will help bring the game’s unique creatures to life, surrounded by a friendly, supportive and passionate team. You’ll be a key stakeholder in realising the vision for animations in the game, establishing the player experience, and genuinely have your work centre stage throughout the development of the project.
What the job entails
- Working on a range of bipedal / quadruped creatures to a high standard of realism
- Expert Maya user in the field of animation
- Understanding of Unreal Engines animation capabilities, and animation state machines
- Ability to set hero animation standards for the project
- Offer expertise and feedback to junior animators,
- An ability to engage in technical design discussions, and production pipeline considerations with the technical teams
- Work with the design and art teams to deliver functional animation systems that meet the creative vision
- Working on isolated game prototypes, and proving out ideas or animation techniques
- A willingness to engage and contribute to discussions about game design and animation in games and media
- Involved in a shipped game using Unreal Engine where you were responsible for animating the games' animals or creatures
- Worked at a AAA or AA studio
- Scripting and Rigging experience
- Able to plan and deliver features on-spec and within an agreed time frame
- Experience or enthusiasm for working with remote teams
- Knowledge and interest in mentoring and coaching junior roles
- Excited to be a part of an indie studio with big ambitions!
- Regular (but always optional) team and company events
- Work from home or work from the office – it's up to you
- A genuine aversion to crunch
- Unlimited fresh-air and wellness breaks
- One hour a week paid exercise and wellness pass
- Free gym, sports or fitness subsidy
- Private medical and dental healthcare (UK only)
- Annual salary reviews
- Cycle to work scheme
- Travel loan
- Free online tuition courses
- Fast growing studio with plenty of room for career advancement
If you feel you have something to offer this role, even if you don’t think you qualify for all the above, please still apply. We are an inclusive employer and if you have potential, talent and a great work ethic, we want to hear from you. 🙏